Thanks for your interest in the orchestra! We're very excited about the upcoming year, and we hope you can join us.
All new and returning members are required to audition. Auditions are an opportunity for you to play music and show us your musical abilities. Since we often have more people interested in playing some instruments than we can accommodate, auditions give everyone a fair shot at the available spots. We use auditions to select performing members of the orchestra, as well as to seat members within the orchestra.
We have only one request of you, once you sign up for an audition: show up for it! We are dedicating our time to listen to you, and we ask that you make sure our time is not wasted. If you find out that you won't be able to make it to your audition, please let us know by cancelling your audition more than 24 hours in advance (either on our website or via email).
If you have any other questions, email us directly (firstname.lastname@example.org) or use the contact form. We're looking forward to hearing you play!
2017-2018 Audition Requirements
- All auditions will be 8 minutes in duration. Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled timeslot.
- If you are unable to make your audition, please cancel on our website at least 24 hours in advance.
- Bring your instrument and your music.
- Percussion and piano auditions will only be scheduled on a case-by-case basis. Please contact us at email@example.com on or before Thursday, September 14, to arrange an audition.
- Don't worry if your scales are a bit rusty, or your chops aren't what they used to be. We know what it's like to dust off an instrument from the corner of your room and play.
Schedule an Audition
- Come prepared to play a piece (or portion thereof) of your choice, no more than 1 minute in length.
- You will be asked to play an excerpt; sheet music will be sent to you upon signing up for an audition time slot. Please rehearse the first part only (e.g. Violin 1, Flute 1, etc...), and ensure that your sheet music is written in the same key as your instrument. You are expected to be familiar with the entire work, as we may ask you to play any section from it. We will not be providing printed parts at the audition, so ensure you bring your own copy.
- You will be asked to play some scales and arpeggios to demonstrate your technical ability.
- Percussionists will be asked to play a piece of their own choice, a snare excerpt, and an excerpt from a piece the orchestra will be performing this season. Excerpts will be provided when the percussionist arranges for an audition with the orchestra.
- Pianists will be asked to play 2 contrasting pieces of minimum RCM 9 level (recommended), and there will be a sightreading component.